Monday 3 January 2011

Writing Reflections - A Round Of Words In 80 Days - Day 1

Some where over the last few months I figured out that I under write which is a relief because I now know that my first draft of Shroud Of Death will only be a skeleton but one that I should be able to work from, one that maps out the story from start to end and somehow at the end of it I will need to go back and add the meat and organs and brains to the story.

Shroud Of Death began life way back when as an idea that I loved. I tried to write it during nanowrimo one year and it got shelved after 11000 words, recently the idea has resurfaced, I've changed the original location, the characters have been replaced with new ones, and plot points make better sense. 

Before I started the new draft, I began jotting down loose scenes on index cards which gave me a starting block that highlighted problem areas and points that wouldn't work. A more stable outline made it onto the computer, just one or two lines of the main event or development in each chapter. I can't see what's around the corner until I get to the corner but I can see where I need to end up.

Daily goal: 375 words
Today's word count: 377
Read my initial goals.

No comments: