Sunday 23 January 2011

A Round Of Words - Check-in 6

Not much to report.

I haven't got much writing done again. Part of the problem is my studies are gnawing away at me and I should be concentrating on those and I had to work on the website. And I'm miffed with myself for only working to a 100 words a day, I know I can do more than that and I can't figure out why I'm making this whole thing so difficult. I did make some more notes in my edits file. I like keeping the writing and editing separate. I can (in theory) keep writing to the end but I have an instant reminder to look at when I come to do the 2nd draft.

At the moment, I've decided to limit working on Shroud Of Death to work nights and keep the weekend free for my poetry studies. I also want to sit down over the next few nights and do some timed free writing to see if that helps get my writing stamina back.

It doesn't help that my best writing times late morning and late afternoon are taken up with work.

In other news, I have another idea for a new novella which I'm quite jazzed about and because that's all fresh and new I want to be working on this one and not Shroud. But Shroud needs to be written and will be written I just don't know when or how at the moment.

Daily word count goal: 100
Thursday: 105
Friday: 0
Saturday: Study Day
Sunday: Study day.


Hope everyone else is doing well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might not think so, but I think you are doing an amazing job. That you can get anything done while so much is going on with your life blows my mind. I have little going on in mine and I struggle daily.

You go!

Katy Bennett said...

Thanks 365, we shall struggle daily together.

CathrynLouis said...

Lots going on and you are still writing. Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Justine Musk had a great post a while back that might be helpful. Two of her points that really stuck with me: "Talk nicely to yourself" and (kinda covered in two points) "Get other things off your chest: write them down." Has helped me, at least.

Katy Bennett said...

Thanks Cathrynlouis and you too Katen. Useful article.

C.Farrell said...

Maybe working on the fresh idea for a while will get you back in the swing of things. Either way, you have a lot on - especially when you're studying, it can be hard to switch into a different mode of writing. Don't be hard on yourself, you're still plugging away.

Anonymous said...

Why not work on the new idea? I find if you make one WIP "jealous" by working on another, the ideas for the original start to flow!

You're doing just fine. Keep at it!

Andrew said...

I know all about work getting in the way of writing. Just keep doing what your doing and you'll get there, even if it's a little slower.