Sunday 6 November 2011

Row80 - Round 4 - Check in 10

I'm on creative fire and the muse continues to douse me in petrol, she is so demanding. I got carried away and raised the stakes even higher. I decided to get on with my novella in waiting seeing as I'm still tied up on the re-planning of the novel but after looking at my notes I remembered there were some researchy bits to do before diving into a first draft. It's crazy, I give up trying to understand the muse, the more I try and concentrate on poetry the more I get pulled towards fiction and vice versa.

Revised goals in no particular order:

Keep up with daily writers journal for second module
keep up with yoga
Complete assignment 4 for 1st module
Keep up with poem a day
Read other writers journals for second module.
Start reading The Creative Writing Course Book for second module.
Begin typing up location sheets for novel
read and critique at least one poem a week for poetry module
Continue with the necessary prep work for novella
read one writing related article a week
Read one poetry related article a week

Daily journal: Kept for 5 out of 7 days
Yoga : Twice since last check in and had to cut yesterdays session short because I really struggled with it. Nonetheless I noticed a significant physical improvement on Wednesday night and minds focused as soon as I inhale.

Assignment 4: Half way through, taking longer than expected, should be finished by next weekend but will be missing tomorrow's deadline.

Poem a day - 4 out of 5 poems written. Still need to do day 3's one, had me stumped and not had a chance to get back to it. Even scribbled down a couple of extra poems.

Reading through the Kindle sample of Diary of a Disappointed Man and have another 5 required reading books on order. 2 journals, one poetry antho and 2 creative writing books.

Read and critique one poem - Did half today, will finish up tomorrow.

Location sheets for novel - I printed out the spreadsheet in preparation for beginning this.

read one writing related article - Think I read a couple.

In addition I typed up my post on task managers which is scheduled to go up tomorrow. Did more updating on my poetry tracker software and some other writing admin tasks. The day job is starting to look like a holiday.

When this month's over, I'm buying a bottle of champagne.

Thanks for keeping me going everyone:

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're making great progress. Good luck with your goals during this round of ROW80.

Author A.O. Peart said...

Katy,
This is a very impressive list of goals. It seems that you are doing really well. Good luck this week and I'm sure your champagne will taste really good :-)

Katy Bennett said...

Thanks Ladies.

Lauren Garafalo said...

You're kicking butt, Katy! I have always wanted to take up yoga, been talking about it for far too long. I need the physical and mental benefits! After this round, I think I'm going to search for a class near me. I too will need to celebrate at the end of this month - maybe we can stop in and have a virtual toast?! Good luck with this week :)

Katy Bennett said...

yeah, have a virtual party when November ends, good luck finding a class.

Anonymous said...

Nice work this week Katy! You have a hefty list of goals, and it looks like tracking them is forming good writing habits.

i need a yoga goal - it changes and aligns everything!!

-Gina

Anonymous said...

I think we could all use a little champagne after this month. :) Great job on your goals, Katy! I'm thinking of starting my yoga goals tomorrow, too (since I'll actually have time); your check-ins have partly inspired that. So thanks! And that Muse...I've found its usually when you're on a roll that she starts to get particularly demanding, and so here's to hoping you can ride that momentum to the best of your advantage!

Stacy said...

Fantastic progress and awesome list of goals. It's wonderful when the Muse shows up and takes control. Good luck:)

Anonymous said...

That frakking muse likes to work on everything BUT what we want her to. I think that's how she gets her kicks. "When this month's over, I'm buying a bottle of champagne." - Do it. You deserve it. Keep those words flying :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant work you are doing great! keep it up :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're really busy! Great job! I'm lucky if I can get half an hour of straight writing time, but that's because of interruptions from my daughter, who talks incessantly. lol

Anonymous said...

Katy,your muse is definitely leading you a merry chase, but sometimes all one can do is keep step with the music as best one can. You're keeping up well with your goals--good job!

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell

Katy Bennett said...

Thanks everyone.

Anonymous said...

Great progress this week, Katy. I hear you about feeling pulled about by the muse. About two-thirds through the way of any project mine is done and ready for the shiny new idea. I'll let her scribble notes and then say, okay you had your moment, now look back over here. Squirrel! *hehe*

Have an excellent coming week, Katy :)